A partnership between the Center for Forensic Science Research and Education (CFSRE) and the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH) has been established to accurately assess the drug supply in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This initiative was established as a comprehensive effort. Select drug testing results from samples obtained within the city were compiled for preparation of this report. The results reported herein may not represent the entirety of the drug supply. The Drug Supply Assessment is intended to help promote timely and appropriate public health and public safety preparedness and response.
Summary and Key Findings:
▪ 65 samples were reported between September & December 2021
▪ Most “heroin” samples contained fentanyl cut with xylazine
▪ Cocaine and methamphetamine samples were not adulterated; fentanyl contamination was not observed in this sample set*
▪ para-Fluorofentanyl was identified as the primary opioid in some “heroin” samples, once as the only opioid (without fentanyl or heroin)
▪ Two “heroin” samples were found to contain fentanyl & stimulants
▪ Counterfeit “Xanax” found to contain an NPS benzodiazepine