A partnership between the Center for Forensic Science Research and Education (CFSRE) and the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH) has been established to accurately assess the drug supply in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This initiative was established as a comprehensive effort. Select drug testing results from samples obtained within the city were compiled for preparation of this report. The results reported herein may not represent the entirety of the drug supply. The Drug Supply Assessment is intended to help promote timely and appropriate public health and public safety preparedness and response.
Summary and Key Findings:
▪ 98 samples were reported between April and August 2021
▪ Most “heroin” samples contained fentanyl cut with xylazine; however, heroin was identified in the supply without fentanyl
▪ Cocaine and methamphetamine samples were not adulterated; fentanyl contamination was not observed in this sample set*
▪ para-Fluorofentanyl continues increasing in prevalence, being identified as the primary opioid in some “heroin” samples
▪ Counterfeit “Xanax” found to contain NPS benzodiazepines