A partnership between the Center for Forensic Science Research and Education (CFSRE) and the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH) has been established to accurately assess the drug supply in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This initiative was established as a comprehensive effort. Select drug testing results from samples obtained within the city were compiled for preparation of this report. The results reported herein may not represent the entirety of the drug supply. The Drug Checking Report is intended to help promote timely and appropriate public health and public safety preparedness and response.
Summary and Key Findings:
▪ 36 samples were reported between January and February 2022
▪ Most “heroin” samples contained fentanyl cut with xylazine
▪ Fentanyl combinations with methamphetamine and cocaine were observed in this sample set, however, not commonly
▪ Cocaine samples were not adulterated in this sample set*
▪ para-Fluorofentanyl continues increasing in prevalence, being identified as the primary opioid in some “heroin” samples
▪ A counterfeit tablet was found to contain an NPS benzodiazepine